Amaryllis and Paperwhites
With just six weeks until Christmas, it's time to plant Paperwhites and Amaryllis so they'll be blooming during the holidays. It generally takes 4 - 6 weeks for them to bloom once planted. Follow these steps for this quick and easy project:
- Choose a shallow container a small glass vase, bowl or bulb vase. In this case you want a container that doesn't have a hole in it and will hold water.
- Fill the container three-quarters full of gravel. Small to medium sized gravel works best
- Place the bulbs on the gravel and add more gravel around them to hold them in place.
- Fill your container with water just to the bottom of the bulb.
- Place in a well-lit room.
- To keep your bloom stalks from falling over, when the bud has emerged, replace water with a mixture of half water and half drinking alcohol (gin or vodka work best).