Job Title: Buyers Assistant
Location: Coorporate Support Center, Glendora CA.
Status: Part Time (25-30 hours per week)
Reporting Relationships: Category Buyer and VP of Merchandise
“Gardening without Guesswork”
Armstrong Garden Centers has been serving California residents for over 125 years. Armstrong is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. Armstrong’s sister brand, Pike Nurseries, in the Southeast, makes it the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Summary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Buyer Assistant supports both the Buying team, specifically one of the key category buyers, and works alongside the Buyer to assist and execute all related department goals. This position serves as an integral part of developing and implementing key department buying, merchandising and advertising initiatives. Key areas of emphasis for this position include:
- Establish effective relationships with all respective department heads and retail management staff.
- Identify programs and procedures to reduce inventory dumps and shrink, manage effective and relevant product selection and establish the ideal product flow to maintain the appropriate inventory levels.
- Assist in the training and development of department heads with an emphasis on:
- Department buying and merchandising standards
- Understanding and analysis of purchasing and dump report
- Identification of sales and gross margin opportunities
While this position is based out of the corporate office, it may require some travel to retail locations at and/or vendors. Focus and priorities will be determined using assistance from the Buyer and the Operations team in order to best assist and support store management and department heads.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Merchandising data base management
- Manage retail changes, cost maintenance and SKU setup for suppliers and stores
- Inputting/uploading and execution of product spreads
- Loading of marketing promotions and discounts
- Heavy data entry
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
- Customer service focused with an ability to build peer-to-peer working relationships
- Analytical – in order to identify trends and opportunities
- Strong Excel Microsoft Office and organization skills
- Highly self-motivated and flexible
- Interest in gardening (at any level) a plus
- Retail experience a plus
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Can requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day.