Retail Management Trainee
Job Title: Manager Trainee
Locations: Orange County / Los Angeles County / San Diego County / Marin County / Alameda County
Reporting Relationships: Retail Management / Regional Managers
Work Schedule: Hours will vary by season. This position will require weekend work.
“Gardening without Guesswork”
Armstrong Garden Centers has been serving California residents for over 125 years. Armstrong is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. Armstrong’s sister brand, Pike Nurseries, in the Southeast, makes it the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Position Description- How it works?
Manager Trainees will participate in a 11-week manager training course including classroom and on-the job training in areas such as:
- Store operations
- Human Resources
- Visual Merchandising
- Employment Status: Full-time
Primary Duties and Responsibilities- What to look forward to!
- Be an expert and brand ambassador for Armstrong Garden Centers.
- Able to connect with customers and provide expert knowledge of our products
- Mentor, coach and lead a team of 10-20 members
- Monitor inventory control, including ordering and buying materials.
- Responsible for taking ownership of Garden Center including, maintenance, watering, visual merchandising, marketing displays, and maintaining stock levels of product.
- Manage operations: POS, scheduling, budgets, KPIs,
- Follow safe work practices and reporting any unsafe working conditions to management and HR.
Requirements- Do you have what it takes?
- Previous management or supervisory experience
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent salesmanship
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Major medical, dental, and group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Hourly rate will commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits between 30 and 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.