Armstrong Garden Centers Honored for Green Initiatives
McConkey inducts Armstrong Growers into the Million Bottle Club
Los Angeles, CA (August 13,2013) – For their outstanding commitment to the environment, Armstrong Growers has been inducted into McConkey’s – a leading manufacturer and distributor of horticultural goods – Million Bottle Club as part of their rEarth program. Partnering with McConkey since 2010, Armstrong Growers has saved over nine million water bottles from landfills, streets, and waterways to help grow their flowers and vegetables.
“rEarth is McConkey's leading initiative in creating eco-friendly packaging, it was only natural to choose their products,” says Heather Hydoski, Production Manager at Armstrong Growers. “McConkey is one of the many great vendors we partner with through careful vendor and product selections in order to maintain healthy and sustainable best business practices.”
All Armstrong Garden Centers’ colorpacks are made from 100% recycled bottles in all packs distributed from their three local growing facilities. First of its kind, this “bottle pack” includes a number one chasing arrow on the packaging and is the first retailer in the industry to make this move to 100% post consumer recycled colorpacks.
“We make a point to continually train our associates to serve as expert resources for our customers, enabling them to participate in our commitment to the environment,” states Hydoski. “Armstrong will continue to improve our communities through programs such as rEarth, maintaining safe and responsible emphasis on our customers, associates, and planet.”
Additional sustainability practices followed by Armstrong Garden Centers:
- Reuses all carrying trays and encourages recycling responsibility among their customers
- Provides customers with biodegradable bags and pots
- Composts extra plants and trimmings to make organic fertilizer, leaving no leaf waste
- Employs a center-wide initiative to eliminate the use of plastic and ultimately landfill contribution with pot-less growing configuration
- Devoted to water conservation at growing facilities through the use of natural water filters and modern water treatment methods (Learn more on YouTube)
- Customers may drop off their used nursery containers at any local Armstrong Garden Center and they will sort through and recycle the containers