A fun way to decorate a pumpkin is with succulents! Be sure to check out our hands-on succulent pumpkin classes each fall! Here's the step by step directions to create your own.
What you'll need:
- heirloom pumpkin (flat pumpkins work best)
- reindeer Moss
- adhesive glue Liquid or a cool temperature glue gun
- your favorite succulents
- branches or upright succulents
Step by Step Instructions:
- Clean off the top of the pumpkin with a dry paper towel or rag.
- Spray the top of the pumpkin with the spray glue. You may want to cut a piece of paper to use as a guide to ensure you don’t overspray the glue onto the side of the pumpkin.
- Quickly add the moss to the top of the pumpkin before the glue dries. Press down gently to ensure the moss sticks with the glue.
- Time to glue on the succulents. You can either squeeze the glue directly on to the succulents or put on a flat surface to dip the succulents into the glue.
- Start with larger succulents to cover the pumpkin stem and work your way outwards. Once you’ve covered your stem add in longer pieces that can trail over the edge of the pumpkin. Use scissors to shape the succulents to size and fill in all the extra gaps. Use some extra moss to help fill in any spaces.
- Sticks and twigs can help add some height to your design. Trim to a reasonable height and glue into the pumpkin. You can also glue moss onto the bottom of the sticks or twigs to help with support.
- Be sure to rotate your pumpkin and look at it from all angles to make sure your design is even all the way around. Use scissors to trim and shape any excess moss around the edges.
- Spray with water once per week to keep the plants looking fresh. Have fun!