Retail Assistant Manager
Job Title: Assistant Manager
Locations: Orange County / Los Angeles County / Riverside County / San Diego County / Marin County / Alameda County
Status: Full-Time / Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Retail Manager / Regional Managers
Work Schedule: Hours will vary by season. This position will require weekend work.
“Gardening without Guesswork”
Armstrong Garden Centers has been serving California residents for over 125 years. Armstrong is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. Armstrong’s sister brand, Pike Nurseries, in the Southeast, makes it the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be an expert and brand ambassador for Armstrong Garden Centers
- Motivate associates to do their best
- Mentor, coach and lead a team of 10-20 members
- Assist manager with accounting paperwork, financials and operations
- Assist manager with ordering, receiving and maintenance of the store's inventory, visual merchandising, sales and service
- Participate/run sales meetings
- Handle customer inquiries
- Customer service and sales -- lead by example. Able to connect with customers and provide expert knowledge of our products
- Work with associates in their areas of responsibility
- Monitor inventory control, including ordering and buying materials
- Responsible for taking ownership of Garden Center including, maintenance, watering, visual merchandising, marketing displays, and maintaining stock levels of product.
- Manage operations: POS, scheduling, and budgets
- Follow safe work practices and reporting any unsafe working conditions to management and HR.
- Formulate daily goals to accomplish
- Follow safe working practices
- All other duties as delegated by management
- Perform duties of Manager on duty when Manager is absent from store
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Expert Nursery Person or Master Nursery Person status; leadership abilities; strong business background; ability to communicate, follow through and complete tasks.
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Major medical, dental, and group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary will commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits between 30 and 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.